Collection and Inoculation of Quantitative Culture (to Rule Out a Line Infection)
A. Special Materials
- 1.5ml Isolator Tube (s): 1 for peripheral specimen, 1 for each line/port to be sampled
- Needle with holder and syringe (s) NOTE: butterfly draws are not recommended because blood clotting may be initiated prior to entry into the tube.
- Two Blood culture prep applicator with sponge (includes one ChloraPrep One-Step Frep tm device)
- One 70% alcohol prep pad for each 1.5ml Isolator Tube
B. 1.5ML Isolator Tube Preparation
- Attach the patient label over the paper label of each tube and clearly label the site to be sampled on each tube.
- Wipe the yellow-colored stopper top of each tube with Blood culture prep applicator to achieve surface sterilization.
- ChloraPrep One-Step Frepp tm
- Remove Frepp tm from package. Hold the applicator with
- sponge facing downwards and gentlly squeeze wings, releasing solution for a controlled flow.
- Place sponge on the top of each tube and depress once or twice to saturate sponge.
- Wipe the surface of each tube to be used with the Frepp.
- Allow the tube tops to dry for approximately 30 seconds.
C. Skin Preparation and Specimen Collection/Inoculation
- ChloraPrep One-Step Frepp
- Locate the vein to be used.
- Remove Frepp from package. Hold the applicator with sponge facing downwards and gently squeeze wings, releasing solution for a controlled flow.
- Place the sponge on selected venipuncture site and depress once or twice to saturate sponge.
- Use a back-and-forth friction scrub for at least 30 seconds.
- Allow prepared area to dry for approximately 30 seconds. Do not wipe off – if you do, you have contaminated the site.
- Proceed with collection of blood.
- Maintain a “hands-off” technique. If you need to touch sterilized site, you must prep your gloved finger in the same manner with fresh prep pads and only palpate above and below needle insertion site.
- Collect a peripheral sample using the 1.5mL Isolator tube. After removal of the needle from the tube, immediately mix the blood with the contents of the tube by gently inverting four or five times.
Note: A peripheral specimen must be obtained at the same time (within 30 minutes) the line/port samples are collected.
- Collect a sample from each line or port using a 1.5mL Isolator tube for each sample. After removal of the needle from the tube, immediately mix the blood with the contents of the tube by gently inverting four or five times.
- Properly dispose of the used needle and adapter/syringe in needle disposal unit and all contaminated materials.
- Use a 70% alcohol prep pad to remove any blood from the yellow-stopper top of each tube.
- Help achieve hemostasis in the patient at the venipuncture site in the usual manner.
- Properly label each 1.5mL Isolator tube with the patient’s name DOB/SS#, your initials, time and date and the site of collection.
- The tubes should be transported at room temperature to the laboratory immediately as they must be processed within four (4) hours of collection.